Finding a home to swap or transfer

You have the right to change tenancies subject to a few simple rules.


Swaps and transfers

If you would like to move to another house or flat, or even to a different area, you may be able to swap your home with another tenant. You have a right to exchange tenancies and it can have many benefits:

  • it is a cheaper way to move home
  • you may be able to move to another part of the country through our agreements with other social landlords
  • you can avoid the need to wait for months on a housing transfer list
  • choose the house you want yourself

What do I need to do?

The first thing you must do is search for a property on the HomeSwapper website, the largest community of social housing tenants looking to swap homes in the country.

Once you have found a home you like, there are a few steps that follow before the exchange can happen:

  • make sure you are up to date on your rent
  • arrange to view the other property, and for the other tenant to view yours
  • arrange for us to inspect your property
  • apply to us for permission to exchange by downloading and completing the form at the bottom of the page and returning it to us

If agreed, each tenant takes over the existing tenancy - this means you take on responsibility for any defects, repairs or renovations in your new home

Reasons a mutual exchange will not be allowed

We will refuse permission if:

  • you have rent arrears
  • the exchange could lead to overcrowding or under-occupation
  • the property is designed for people with specific needs
  • the other landlord has not given consent
  • one of the applicants has a court order against them for breach of tenancy conditions


We are also registered with Homefinder, one of the quickest and easiest routes to finding a mutual exchange in Leicester and Leicestershire. So if you live in the area and are looking to swap your home, this is the place to start.

Transferring to another home

If your circumstances have changed, you can ask to be transferred to another property more suited to your needs. Conditions vary between local authorities, so please contact us for details.

Our Group