To rent, buy or swap
Everything you need to know
How we can help you
Tell us what matters most to you

Anti-social behaviour

Did you know you can report ASB via myhomeonline?

How to be a considerate neighbour

We know that anti-social behaviour can cause a great deal of distress. That is why we are committed to working with you to investigate and resolve any case that is reported to us.

Day to day noise is usually part of our everyday lives, and we should all learn to be tolerant when living in a community where people lead different lifestyles. It is also very important to remain reasonable, considerate and mindful of our neighbours. Excessive noise is unreasonable and can cause disturbance, especially if regular or prolonged or at unsociable times.

Consider how you can be a good neighbour and build good relations:

  • Parties, social occasions and BBQs: If you are planning a party, let your neighbours know in advance. Ask your guests to be respectful or invite them along.
  • TV and stereo: Think about the volume. Consider using headphones or pull your equipment away from the wall.
  • Parking: Consider how you park your vehicles. Are you causing an obstruction, or would parking there make it difficult for a wheelchair user to access their home? Be respectful.
  • Dogs: Be respectful to your neighbours’ complaints. Some dogs may only bark when their owners are out of their home, so may be unaware that there is a problem. Your neighbours may not feel the same about your pet as you do.
  • Rubbish and litter: It is important to keep your property clean and tidy so not to upset others living around you. Use bins, keep communal areas tidy, and report any repair problems to us.
  • Conflict: If you do get into an argument with your neighbour, remember to avoid any confrontation or hurtful comments. Once something has been said it makes it harder to become friends again in the future.

Self help and when to report

If you feel able to, try discussing the problem with the person responsible:

  • this should be done early on, as some people may not be aware their behaviour is unacceptable
  • if you do decide to talk to them, do so politely
  • explain why you are upset
  • tell them how you would like to deal with the problem

We understand that you may not be able to speak to the person concerned. In this case, or if talking to the person did not help, please call us.

Nuisance can affect people in different ways and at different levels, so not every complaint can be dealt with as anti-social behaviour.

For example:

  • People carrying out DIY/repairs at reasonable times
  • Cooking smells
  • Children playing in their homes or gardens (children playing ball games is normally considered to be ASB)

If you are experiencing environmental or noise nuisance you can contact your local Environmental Protection team. All the information you need is available here.

If you have been threatened, harassed or if you suspect that domestic abuse or other acts of violence are taking place, please call the police on 999 in an emergency, or 101 if not.

If you want to know the facts and figures about crime in your area, visit the police website and type in your postcode to view a “crime map” of your area.

If you are concerned about continuing incidents of anti-social behaviour, you can report it to us.

Our Group